DREAM Rescue – September Pet Rescue of the Month
Dachshund Rescue, Education, Awareness, and Mentoring
The Dream Rescue foundation was started and operates with one mission: to rescue, rehabilitate, and rehome dachshunds in need. An all volunteer staff works tirelessly to ensure the welfare of each Dachshund they bring in, no matter the circumstances. Working primarily in the Metro Atlanta, North Georgia, and Savannah regions, their goal is to make a “deep, direct impact in a limited geographic region rather than a small impact in a large geographic area”. Through the rescue of Dachshunds from shelters and animal control centers that routinely euthanize their dogs, Dream Rescue is able to give these Dachshunds a new lease on life. These volunteers are not only the rescue organization managers, but also are the primary transportation to the vet for any necessary medical procedures and foster parents for the dogs available for adoption. At least 90% of the donations and proceeds for the organization go back into vet care, while the other 10% is used to host events and fundraisers for rescue awareness like the HowlOWeenie, this year on October 1st.
As with most non-profit rescue organizations, most of their money is obtained through private donations or fundraisers and the upcoming HowlOWeenie event is the perfect way to show your support and have fun at the same time. Featuring Costume, Howling, Face Kissing, Tailwagging, and Bobbin’ for Weiners contests along with the ever-popular Daschshund Races, to live bluegrass music, hotdog lunches and cold beer and T-shirt sales, this event is sure to be a good time for dogs and owners alike. Micro-chipping and nail clipping services are also featured, with a wide assortment of prizes available for the contest winners!
Dream is always looking for more volunteers to help with many areas in the organization, and aside from monetary donations (which are always welcome and needed!) there are many ways to help.
Transport Angels can assist with picking up dogs from kill shelters that Dream has identified for rescue, as well as taking these Dachshunds to their necessary vet appointments.
Foster Homes are one of the greatest ways to assist Dream in their mission, as these homes serve as a place for the Dachshund to get used to living with a family again and being cared for as a member of that family. This allows the adoption process and transition to go much smoother. Fostering times vary in length, as each dog is unique and finding the perfect adoption home for him or her is the number one priority of this organization. But if you are willing and have a house suitable for Dachshund fostering, don’t hesitate to get in contact with a board member to assist!
An assortment of other needs are fulfilled by volunteers as well, from event staffing, technology and website assistance, marketing and fundraising all essential aspects that make Dachshund adoption possible.
And finally, if you are interested in adopting one of their many wonderful Dachshunds the first step is to fill out an application and a member of the organization will get in contact with you as soon as they can. After a matching process to determine the best dog for you, two-way dialogue to answer any questions, reference checks to determine your suitability as a dog owner, and a final home check to ensure that you are properly equipped to take care of a Dachshund, you could be the proud, happy owner of a rescued Dachshund. Don’t forget to share your experience with everyone you know, so dogs of all breeds are kept out of kill shelters and can find loving homes.
For more information about DREAM Rescue, please see their contact information below: